Scrum Master – Role and Responsibilities
In this article, we will understand What is Scrum Master and what his/her role is all about, and the responsibilities associated with this role.
What is Scrum Master?
In simple words, a scrum master is the facilitator for an Agile development team; they are responsible for managing the exchange of information between team members.
What does Scrum Master role demand?
We have often heard folks getting confused that Scrum Master is a project manager or team lead. That’s not the case at all. The following are some responsibilities Scrum Master is required to fulfil –
- Servant Leader – Scrum Master has no direct authority
- Change Agent – he/she works like a catalyst
- Not a manager – Scrum Master cannot make decisions on behalf of the Team or Product Owner
- Process Owner – Scrum Master serves as authority for Scrum Framework and upholds Scrum Values in the Scrum Team.
- Scrum Master focus on People Development than on getting results.
- Scrum Master is a facilitator – he works majorly on how you are conducting the scrum and how effectively you are doing it.
- Scrum Master also helps to understand why Scrum process are required rather than pushing it to be done.
- Problem Solver and People Protector – his responsibilities majorly are to ensure that every problem is resolved, that way the team is getting better
- Scrum Master must have good communication, good negotiation and soft skills.
The first role which I have explained is he is a Servant Leader, that means he is there to serve the Scrum Team, but with the qualities of a leader. Let’s understand his services to the Scrum Team.
Services to the Development Team –
The following services are facilitated by Scrum Master to the Development Team –
- Teaches Scrum and ensures that the Development team members understand and adhere to Scrum theory, practices and rules.
- Protects the team from external disturbances.
- Facilitates Scrum Events as needed.
- Coaches and helps the team in Self organization and Cross Functionality.
- Removes impediments (when requested) and gets outside help for the Team when needed
- Resolves Conflicts between Development Team, works like a mentor of Dev Team for Scrum.
- Acts as mirror and help Development Team to reflect and improve as a Team.
- Coaching the Development Team in Organizational Environments in which Scrum is not yet fully adopted and understood.
Services to the Product Owner
The following services are provided by Scrum Master to the Product Owner –
- Teaches Scrum and ensures that the Product Owner understands and adheres to Scrum theory, practices and rules.
- Helps the Product Owner understand how to create and maintain Product Backlog effectively.
- Helps the Product Owner understand how to order/prioritize Product Backlog items to maximize value, and also helps the Product Owner with prioritization techniques for Product backlog.
- Coaches Product Owner in writing clear, concise Product backlog items.
Along with these responsibilities with Development Team, Scrum Master also provides services to the Organization and few responsibilities for developing the Scrum mindset.
Services to the Organization
- Working with other Scrum Masters to increase the effectiveness of the Scrum in organization.
- Coaching organization on Scrum.
- Helping employees, Stakeholders embrace Agile Mindset and implement Scrum.
- Be a Change Agent and create environment, culture of Empirical product Development.
I hope that post reading this, you get the basic understanding of Scrum Master’s role and responsibilities. Happy Learning!